Friday, November 22, 2019
facebook
Chandigarh

Posted at: Jun 11, 2019, 8:10 AM; last updated: Jun 11, 2019, 8:10 AM (IST)

2 women hurt as cooking gas pipe explodes

Victims suffer 15-20 per cent burn injuries; their condition stable

items damaged

  • The explosion was so intense that glass windows in the lobby were shattered. Besides, doors of the room and kitchen appliances were also damaged. The blast also created fissures in the walls of the flat.

Satinder Pal Singh

Zirakpur, June 10

Two women sustained burn injuries after a cooking gas pipe exploded in a flat at Spangle Heights, a residential society in Dhakoli, here this morning.

The blast was said to have occurred inside the kitchen when the owner of the flat, 55-year-old Usha Garg, tried to light a matchstick to prepare tea without noticing a leakage in the pipe. The gas that had accumulated in the kitchen led to the blast, it has been learnt. Domestic help Raj Rani (55), who was present at the time of the explosion, also suffered superficial burns on her arms, hands and legs.

According to doctors, the condition of both victims is stable. They are under treatment at the Government Hospital, Sector 6, Panchkula, with 15-20 per cent burn injuries.

Sunil Garg, a family member, said he woke up to the deafening blast around 9 am and came out running from his room after hearing the shrieks of his mother and maid Raj Rani from the kitchen.

“There was some leakage in the gas pipe. The moment his mother Usha Garg lit a matchstick, it caught fire”.

Sunil said flames leaping from the damaged pipe engulfed her mother and the maid.

Hearing the sound of the blast, neighbours also rushed to the flat and found Usha and Raj Rani injured. They were immediately rushed to the Government Hospital, Panchkula.

Sunil stated that the damage could have been much higher had the flames spread to the nearby room where his brother Amit Garg and his family were sleeping. The entire family, including children, had a miraculous escape as they timely noticed the fire in the gas pipe before it could spread all around following the blast.

Amit Garg, victim’s son, who runs an Overseas Educational Consulting Agency, said on Sunday, workers from the gas company came at their flat to carry out an inspection. Garg believed that there might be a possibility of non-compliance of safety norms by the workers while checking the connection valves.

The family is planning to consult an advocate to file a case against the gas distributor company, said Sunil.

Victim Raj Rani said: “I came at 9 am. I was not able to lit gas in the kitchen. I tried twice, but could not succeed. Therefore, I informed the flat owner, Usha Garg, who also tried to lit the gas, but failed. When Usha tried second time, the gas pipe exploded”.

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On