Tuesday, January 23, 2018
facebook

google plus
Delhi

Posted at: Jan 12, 2018, 12:28 AM; last updated: Jan 12, 2018, 12:28 AM (IST)

2000 Red Fort attack suspect sent to 10-day police custody

2000 Red Fort attack suspect sent to 10-day police custody
Bilal Ahmed Kawa (centre) in police custody in New Delhi on Thursday. Tribune Photo

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, January 11

A man, arrested in connection with the 2000 Red Fort attack case, was sent to 10-day police custody by a Delhi court today.

Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Deepak Sherawat allowed the plea of the Delhi Police seeking 10 days custody of Bilal Ahmed Kawa, who arrested yesterday from IGI Airport in a joint operation of the Delhi Police and Gujarat Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS).

Three persons, including two Army jawans, were killed in the Red Fort attack in December 22, 2000.

According to the police, the Gujarat ATS informed it that Kawa, who had been declared a proclaimed offender in the case, was travelling from Srinagar to Delhi.

Kawa, who was suspected to be linked with Lashkar-e-Toiba, was arrested last evening from the T-3 of the airport, said a police official, adding that money to the tune of Rs 29.50 lakh was transferred through hawala in various bank accounts, including those of Kawa, to fund the attack.

Kawa was on the run since 2000 and hiding in Kashmir, the official said.

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On