Monday, June 17, 2019

Posted at: Jun 13, 2018, 12:02 AM; last updated: Jun 13, 2018, 12:02 AM (IST)

Bamboo trap set up to catch stork

Bamboo trap set up to catch stork
Black-necked stork with a plastic ring stuck around its beak.

Naveen S Garewal

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, June 12

Rescue teams on Tuesday used drones to monitor the activity of the black-necked stork with a plastic ring stuck around its beak. But due to high-tension wires in the area, the drones had to be abandoned and traditional method of using a 10-ft-long bamboo trap with glue has been adopted.

Officials say the bird is in good health, but reduced its flight from a kilometre to 20 meters on Tuesday. Once the bird stops flying, it will be easier to catch it and remove the plastic ring.

Additional Principal Conservator of Forest Vinod Kumar said the teams were using the bamboo method with a camouflage to get closer to the stork, but since there was no hurry in catching the bird as it had drinking water, though with difficulty. “The operation has been in progress for five days and it can last another five more days,” Kumar said.

A team of the Bombay National History Society (BNHS) has decided against using any tranquiliser as it may damage vital organs of the bird. The rescue teams, including personnel from the Forest and Environment Departments of the Haryana Government, have decided to go slow and remain in an area where the bird can be seen.

Kumar said the area where the bird has been located is near Dhankot and Budhera in Haryana. The wetland borders Delhi, but it is not Najafgarh Jheel of Delhi as was being believed earlier.

This area is rich in flamingos and a popular site with bird watchers. The rescue teams on Tuesday managed to reach within 20 meters of the bird, but since it is still flying, it managed to stay away from the bamboo trap. The rescue team would have completed its task earlier had it got the net gun, but the same has somehow not been arranged yet.

Now that the location of the bird is confirmed, the rescue teams have decided to wait and let the bird get stationery. From Tuesday, the rescue teams have decided to keep a watch on the activity and health of the bird at night too.

Meanwhile, the Environment Department launched a cleanup operation to remove plastic waste from the area. Huge trucks and cranes were put into operation past midnight to lift piles of plastic water bottles. Legal action is being taken against a private property owner who allowed the area to be used as a plastic dump.


All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On