Saturday, November 17, 2018
facebook

google plus
Himachal

Posted at: Nov 9, 2018, 12:43 AM; last updated: Nov 9, 2018, 12:43 AM (IST)

3-storey wooden house gutted in Rohru

Cracker ban goes up in smoke

  • The ban on bursting crackers after 10 pm was flouted and deafening sounds of crackers were heard till past mid night. However, Director General of Police SR Mardi said no complaint was received.
  • The state government had permitted the use of crackers from 8 pm to 10 pm as per the Supreme Court orders and directed all DCs to ensure that the orders were complied with.
  • However, there was a mixed reaction to the orders and cracker sellers and a section of the youth said two hours were very short as the pollution level in Himachal was not as high as in Delhi and adjoining areas.
  • Senior citizens and environmentalists welcomed the decision of the government and said all activities that added to pollution should be banned.

Tribune News Service

Shimla, November 8

Barring a major fire at a village in Rohru, in which a three-storey building was gutted, and some stray incidents in Shimla, Diwali passed off without any loss to human life.

A three-storey wooden house was gutted in a fierce fire at Bechadi village in the Chirgaon area of Rohru, Shimla district, late last night. The fire reportedly broke out at midnight around 3 am when residents were asleep. However, no loss of life was reported as inmates escaped but the house, owned by Bhajan Das, was reduced to ashes and the loss was estimated at over Rs 50 lakh.

The fire spread fast and engulfed the building in a few minutes and local residents helped in rescuing the inmates. However, the house gutted before the fire brigade could reach and nothing could be salvaged, said a resident.

The police reached the spot to ascertain the cause of the fire and a case has been registered. The three-storey house had 12 rooms.

Meanwhile, two shops, a daily need shop belonging to Santosh Kumar and a dhaba owned by Vinod Kumar, were gutted adjoining the Labour Bureau Office near railway station in Shimla. The fire station on The Mall received a call around 11 pm and fire tenders were rushed to douse the flames. Six cylinders were removed from the dhaba and adjoining shops.

Preliminary investigations pointed out that short-circuit in the shop led to fire.

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On