Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Posted at: Feb 14, 2018, 12:02 AM; last updated: Feb 14, 2018, 12:02 AM (IST)

Army soldier fears for family

Lalit Mohan

Tribune News Service

Dharamsala, February 13

Sohan Singh, an Army soldier posted in Srinagar (J&K) in Sikh Regiment, is fearing for the safety of his family back home in Dadh village, about 20 km from here.

His old father, mother and wife were attacked with an axe by an employee of the IPH Department on February 2 and injured seriously. The videos of the attack went viral on social media leading to outrage in public. However, after 10 days of attack police have not been able to arrest the accused.

The accused Rattan Chand, who had also allegedly sustained injuries and was admitted in Tanda medical college, was shifted to psychiatry ward. The police were waiting for his release from the hospital to arrest him.

Principal of the Tanda medical college, Ramesh Bharti said the patient had been diagnosed for depression. He said that it was for the police department to take a decision regarding his arrest.

Sohan Singh, who was forced to come back home on leave for protection of his family, is miffed. He said that he had written a letter to the police on July 31 last that his parents were facing threat from Rattan Chand. However, the police authorities did not take the complaint seriously and the result was that now parents have injured seriously.

Sohan Singh said that police theory was that Rattan Chand was a psychiatry patient. He had not attacked anybody or his family members. Sohan said the police should immediately arrest the accused as he was a threat to his family and “till he was not arrest the threat will persist”.

Inquiries from the IPH department revealed that the accused Rattan Chand was on leave. Despite that the police had registered a case of attempt to murder against him the IPH Department is yet to suspend him from job.

Sohan Singh is at Dadh with four other soldiers of his village to help out his family. He also said Rattan Chand was a threat to his family and he had to come on leave to protect his family.

Superintendent of Police Santosh Patial said they could only arrest the accused if he is released from the hospital on the advice of the doctors.


All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On