Tuesday, October 23, 2018

google plus

Posted at: Jan 14, 2018, 1:34 AM; last updated: Jan 14, 2018, 1:34 AM (IST)

Risking others’ lives, people continue to use plastic strings

Hospitals receive several patients with injuries due to Chinese string
Risking others’ lives, people continue to use plastic strings

Harshraj Singh

Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, January 13

Several persons got injured after coming in contact with the banned Chinese string that was openly used for kite-flying by many residents to mark Lohri celebrations in the city today.

Once, strings made of cotton thread from Bareilly and Amritsar were the first choice of many residents for flying kites. But a large number of kite-lovers used the banned Chinese string today, which is made of either plastic or synthetic material.

According to an official of the Christian Medical College and Hospital (CMCH), five persons, who were injured after coming in contact with the Chinese string, were given treatment today. Two injured persons were taken to the hospital after they fell from rooftops while flying kites.

Besides, six patients, who were injured by Chinese strings, took treatment at the Dayanand Medical College and Hospital (DMCH). According to the emergency wing of the Lord Mahavira Civil Hospital, a 65-year old patient visited the hospital after he injured his thumb due to Chinese string. Besides, several commuters reportedly got injuries on their face and other body parts while riding two-wheelers in the city.

Despite ban, Chinese strings were easily available in the market. Commuters were seen struggling with banned strings dumped on roads.

The National Green Tribunal (NGT) had reportedly called for a country-wide ban on Chinese strings in kite-flying. In December 2017, Police Commissioner RN Dhoke had imposed a ban on selling, using and storing plastic and synthetic strings under Section 144 of the CrPC. However, the banned string was sold and used by many persons without any fear of law.

Sources said sellers had already stored a large stock of Chinese string. One spool was being sold for Rs400 or above. Raju, who was catching kites by putting his and other commuters’ life at risk at Lakkar Bridge, said: “I caught several kites, which were being flown with plastic strings. I also caught a kite with string made of a metal.”

Dr Sanjeev Uppal, head of plastic surgery department at the DMCH, said: “Six patients who had received injuries on face, neck or other parts of the body due to Chinese string were reported to the hospital. Three patients received severe injury as the wound had to be stitched. The Chinese string is very hard and it does not break easily. It is very harmful as it cuts the skin.”

Girl suffers ‘bullet’ injury

A girl allegedly suffered a bullet injury, when she was on her rooftop at Maharaja Ranjit Singh Nagar on Saturday. The victim has been identified as Shalini (21). Her father Tarkeshwar Nath said a bullet hit her in the left hand when she was on the rooftop. Shalini was rushed to a nearby hospital.  “I heard a gunshot, but don’t know who fired it. The incident took place around 2:30 pm. We have informed the police. My daughter has been discharged from the hospital and is fine now.”  Shalini’s neighbour Kunj Bihari Aggarwal said: “We were at the rooftop of our house, when Shalini got injured. The children were flying kites. Shalini, too, was on the rooftop of her house when the incident took place. It seems someone opened fire in the air and the bullet grazed her hand.”  SHO at Div. No. 3 police station, Harjinder Singh said: “I visited the area where the girl got injured. We are investigating the matter.” — TNS


All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On