Saturday, December 07, 2019

Posted at: Jul 22, 2019, 6:38 AM; last updated: Jul 22, 2019, 2:44 PM (IST)ATTARI HAUL

Kingpin dies in jail, foul play suspected

CM Capt Amarinder Singh orders a magisterial probe

Jupinderjit Singh

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, July 21

The Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) and the Punjab Police suspect a foul play behind the death of alleged drug smuggler Gurpinder Singh (29) in the Amritsar jail this morning. 

Gurpinder was the main accused in the 532-kg heroin haul made at Attari recently. The drug was reportedly smuggled in a consignment of rock salt from Pakistan.

Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh has asked Additional District Magistrate Himanshu Aggarwal to conduct a detailed probe so as to ascertain all facts and circumstances that led to the death of Gurpinder.

The incident has raised many an eyebrow as diabetic Gurpinder was declared healthy having normal sugar count around 8.30 pm last night after which he was sent to his barrack. Less than 12 hours later, he allegedly bled from the mouth while brushing his teeth and died. His brother, also arrested in the same case, raised the alarm. The actual cause of his death will only be known after his post-mortem report is received.

Security officials said Gurpinder would have been crucial in connecting the dots that have emerged during the investigation so far.

The NCB had questioned him only once. 

“His death in jail is shocking and is bound to throw up serious questions,” said an NCB official. Ever since he was sent to the jail on July 1 after his arrest, Gurpinder, who obtained an importer’s licence in December last, had remained in the hospital for seven days and on police remand for 11 days.

Jail Superintendent Arshdeep Singh said Gurpinder had 350-plus sugar count on July 1. He was admitted to Medical College and Hospital, Amritsar, and brought back to jail on July 6 after being discharged.

From July 11 to 18, he was in custody of the Amritsar police on production remand. On his return to the jail, he complained of uneasiness and was taken to jail hospital on July 18 evening. His sugar count was reported to be normal at 8.30 pm last night after which he was sent to the barrack, the jail superintendent said.


All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On